Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Life of a Fashion Major

        I decided to major in something that I love. I obviously know that majoring in fashion isn't the safest choice, but I didn't want to do something just because it was safe! I knew I needed to do something that I was passionate about! People either think my major is awesome or they think that I am wasting my time majoring in something that they don't even consider a major. I love fashion and I want to pursue that as a career. If you love biology and want to pursue that as a career, then awesome! But just because my major isn't something at every school doesn't mean it's less important. Just imagine if no one majored in fashion and no one worked in the fashion industry. Imagine America or even the world with out a fashion industry! That would completely change our culture. Just like if people just stopped being doctors that would completely change our world (maybe a bit more dramatic, but I have to get my point across!!) Here's a couple more things you should know about being a fashion major....

It's not an easy major.
If you want to do fashion because you think its easy, you should reconsider. The fashion design students here have to work their butts off. Especially upper class men. They always tell us that they sleep in the sewing labs often to get their pieces completely. I am a fashion communication major, which requires a lot of writing. If you aren't a fairly strong writer then you probably shouldn't major in fashion communication. So basically.... NO, I didn't just come to college to party.

We don't always look cute.
I mean yeah we are fashion majors, but we have our lazy days too. It might be cuter than a typical lazy day outfit;) but hey we consider it lazy. I like to try and look like cute somedays, but somedays I can't ignore the fact that yoga leggings are calling my name. More power to ya if ya look cute everyday. I wish I could do it.

It really is about your connections & experiences. 
If you want to major in fashion I highly recommend getting as many different experiences in the different parts of the industry as early as you can! Experiences that have been amazing for me are working in a boutique, getting to go to market, having a fashion instagram (which has given me awesome contacts, enabled me to be featured on Seventeen Magazine's website, promote awesome products and designers, and so much more!!)


I apologize for writing about stereotypes a lot lately, but it seems to be something that I enjoy writing about. I love fashion and the fashion world and I can't wait to do the real thing. I prepared to, despite what people think, work my butt off to get to where I want in the fashion industry.
Until next time,
Brianna


No comments:

Post a Comment