Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Women's College?

      When people ask me where I go to school and I tell them that I go to Stephens College, the typical reaction is, "Wait, isn't that an all girls school?" with a mildly concerned look on their face. Nine of ten of these weird looks come from boys. So here's a little info about all girls schools.

No, we aren't all lesbians.
Contrary to the typical stereotypes, most of us don't come here to only be around girls the whole time. I mean sure theres always going to be some, but that is at every college! Not just women's colleges! I like boys and I got to women's college (right next door to University of Missouri by the way... theres a few boys there..) Some girls here like girls, and that's cool too!

There's no one to impress. 
If I want to wear yoga pants and a tee shirt to class, I will. If I want to wear a pumps the next day, I will. At bigger universities dressing up is rare. At Stephens no one is going to judge for actually trying two or three times a week. (Might be because I'm fashion major..) But seriously, no one cares what you look like. We all know the struggle of waking up or even just the struggle of doing life some days. Not only do I not need to worry about my appearance all the time, but I never have to worry about being nervous to speak up in class. A lot of girls may not think of this, but whether you think it affects you or not, it most likely does.

We kind of live in our own little pink bubble.
If you have no interest in seeing boys, you really don't have to. But then again, if you do... Mizzou is right next door. If you don't always stay on Stephens campus I promise you will meet boys. Just because you attend an all girls school does not mean boys suddenly drop off the face of the earth. I love the bubble, its the thing that protects you on those days you feel crappy.

No, our classes aren't a joke.
Just because it's all girls doesn't mean it's going to be a breeze. Yes, we have fun, but we also work our butts off just like any other college.

It doesn't make you weird around boys. Promise.
A lot of people think women's colleges do not prepare you for the real world because in the real world you won't be around just girls all the time, but I think I am a lot more confident. I think being at an all women's college gives you that extra bit confidence you need for the real world, whether that be talking to boys or applying for a job! I am a Stephens women and I am proud of that. I love going here and I love telling people all about Stephens. Stephens women are brave, confident, motivated, and ready to take on anything!


No comments:

Post a Comment