Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Yeah, girls golf too.

        Four years ago when I started playing golf I never REALLY knew how male dominated golf is. It's a sport that many women aren't involved in and when they are its this weird thing apparently. I worked at a golf course the past two summers as a cart girl, and this recent summer as a cart girl and in the pro shop. It never failed that I would get at least one comment about being a girl and working at a golf course each day like they had never seen a college aged girl working at a golf course before (yes, i am aware this is sort of a rare thing). It became a normal thing I would always smile and be thinking yes, I am girl working at a golf course why is that so intriguing. Most of the golfers at the course were men and when I would be cleaning their clubs or checking them in some would try and make conversation. As soon as they figured out that I wasn't just working at a golf course, but I actually play golf then they were even more shocked. It was interesting being so involved in something that was prominently male dominated. It made me realize that even though most golfers are men that doesn't mean girls can't golf. I think more should honestly. I am not really sure why it's mostly men that golf. But that won't change the fact that even though golf is the most frustrating thing in the entire world sometimes I still love it. I'm still a college golfer and I'll still work at a golf course. Hopefully, more women will start to play, but until then... yes, girl golfers do exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment